The talk covers four areas--
1. Malware -- how it's evolved and become more pervasive and pernicious
2. Why Windows Is Insecure -- a look at Windows from the standpoint of operating systems principles that shows why it is insecure in its role as the public's default Internet-access platform
3. FOSS to Secure Windows -- the heart of the talk, we'll walk through a range of free and open source products that address all Windows security and privacy shortcomings
4. Microsoft Alternatives -- this section highlights alternatives to Windows and the Microsoft stack
5. The End of the Internet? -- a famous article in MIT Technology Review claims that insecurity could mean the end of the Internet. I'll offer my own thoughts on how current lack of security and privacy for internet users could play out over the next several years.
Howard Fosdick writes a column for Enterprise Open Source Journal that covers this topic at www.eosj.com. He is a local independent DBA contractor, author, and a founder of the database users groups IDUG and MDUG.
A short but complete summary of this presentation can be found in this article Howard wrote for dbazine. Click HERE to see his article.
IIT Rice Campus Room 103 201 East Loop Road Wheaton, IL 60187-8489Directions to IIT - Rice Campus in Wheaton
From the North or South: From I-355 (North-South Tollway), exit westbound at Rt.56/Butterfield Road and proceed west 3 1/2 miles on B utterfield Road to East Loop Road. Turn right onto East Loop Road (Phillip's 66 Gas Station on the corner); the campus will be on your right about a block north of Butterfield Road, behind Cozymel's. Park in the Student parking lot behind the building. Room 103 is the first room inside the north enterance.
From the I-294 (Tri-State Tollway), take the I-88 (East-West Tollway) westbound and follow directions "From the East or West" below.
From the East or West: From I-88 (East-West Tollway), take the Naperville Road exit. At the traffic light, turn left onto Naperville Road and continue north for 1\275 miles to Rt. 56/Butterfield Road. Turn right onto Rt. 56/Butterfield Road and proceed 1/4 mile to the first traffic light (East Loop Road). Turn left on to East Loop Road, ( Phillip's 66 Gas station on the corner); the campus will be on your right about a block north of Butterfield Road, behind Cozymel's. Park in the Student parking lot behind the building.Room 103 is the first room inside the north enterance.
Contact Scott Nemec at (630) 990-6265 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
For more information about UniForum Chicago contact email@example.com.